OMRI is Hiring a Product Review Coordinator
The Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) is a leading nonprofit organization working to strengthen the organic industry. OMRI operates an internationally recognized evaluation program that reviews input materials for use in producing, processing, and handling organic foods and fiber. OMRI Listed® products may be allowed for use in operations that are certified organic under the USDA National Organic Program or the Canada Organic Regime standards.
Location: Eugene, Oregon (Learn more about the City of Eugene)
Overview of Position
OMRI is looking for a Product Review Coordinator to join its growing team. As part of the OMRI Review Program, Product Review Coordinators are responsible for completing technical reviews and making recommendations on input materials for use in organic production. The Product Review Coordinator reports to a Review Program Technical Supervisor. Qualified candidates will have a background in a natural science related field, an understanding and familiarity with organic food systems and food and agriculture regulation, as well as strong organizational and team skills, and outstanding communication skills. The candidate will interact with input manufacturers locally and internationally to evaluate their inputs for compliance with organic standards.
It takes approximately one year to master this position, so please apply only if you are prepared to make a multi-year commitment.
- Review inputs for OMRI Listing (60%)
- Review ingredients and production processes for inputs (e.g., fertilizers, feed additives, pest control products) to determine compliance with established organic standards.
- Follow up with applicants to acquire any information needed to ensure a complete review. This includes communications with applicants abroad, including our growing Hispanic customer base.
- Prepare and present review findings, and make recommendations about whether specific products meet organic standards and should be listed by OMRI.
- Determine compliance based on findings presented by other team members.
- Record and manage data related to reviewed products in OMRI's Products Database.
- Monitor continued compliance of OMRI listed products by conducting ongoing compliance reviews and other technical reviews as needed.
- Provide customer service to OMRI Listed suppliers and applicants (10%)
- Provide clarification of complex technical information, and respond to questions from suppliers and applicants via phone and email (in English and Spanish for bilingual candidates).
- Provide status notifications to applicants.
- Attend and participate in technical meetings (10%)
- In the context of technical team and Review Panel meetings, participate in discussions of products and processes, including discussing difficult or unique issues with products under review, advising on final decisions regarding products, and reviewing process improvement and consistency issues.
- Participate in technical, educational, and organization projects (10%)
- Represent the Review Program on organizational wide task-forces and project teams to improve services locally and internationally, as requested.
- Complete research or special projects such as technical reports or educational materials, as requested.
- Participate in process improvement and quality assurance efforts (5%)
- Write and update work instructions, checklists, and documentation related to the OMRI Review Program as requested.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of product reviews.
- Promote OMRI's work and assist efforts to educate customers about organic inputs (5%)
- Prepare newsletter articles, FAQs, and other written materials about OMRI's work and the organics industry.
- Represent OMRI at tradeshows and organic industry events, including speaking on panels and at conferences. Opportunities to represent OMRI in Spanish speaking countries are available for bilingual candidates.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, physics, biology, geology or a related field. Agricultural focus preferred.
- Understanding and familiarity with organic food systems, food and agriculture regulation, or chemistry.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Willingness to participate in professional development activities, and ability to acquire new skills and adapt to change quickly.
- Ability to work constructively as part of a dynamic team.
- Proficiency in standard office software.
- High level of attention to detail and ability to process complex information and instructions.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks, organize information, complete tasks in a timely fashion, and appropriately handle confidential business information.
- 2-3 years of experience working a food processing, organic production, or other regulated industry preferred.
- Public speaking skills and experience.
- Familiarity with standardized procedures such as ISO 17065.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English proficiency).
- Project coordination and planning skills.
- Full time position with competitive salary.
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision plan.
- Retirement plan.
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Opportunities for flexible scheduling.
- Opportunities for training and course work.
- Small nonprofit organization with established team and leading role in organic industry.
- Casual, fun work environment.
Open until filled
How to apply
Submit your resume and cover letter as a PDF or Word document to email@example.com referencing Product Review Coordinator in the subject line.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
No Phone Calls, Please.