OMRI is Hiring An Accounts Payable Specialist
The Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) is a leading nonprofit organization working to strengthen the organic industry. OMRI operates an internationally recognized evaluation program that reviews and lists input products for use in producing, processing, and handling organic foods and fiber. OMRI Listed® products may be allowed for in operations that are certified organic under the USDA National Organic Program, the Canadian Organic Standards or Mexico’s Organic Product Law.
OMRI is committed to and actively engaged in diversity, equity and inclusion work at all levels of the organization. We are striving to diversify our workforce and develop a culture where everyone contributes to an environment where diversity is welcomed and valued and where everyone is treated with respect and dignity.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every one of the qualifications listed. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We encourage you to apply, even if you do not meet every one of our qualifications listed.
Location: Though our office is in Eugene, Oregon (Learn more about the City of Eugene), this position is open to being hybrid, must be in office 2-3 days per week.
Overview of Position
We are looking to fill a newly created key position on our team. The Accounts Payable Specialist will be responsible for performing day to day accounts payable and finance support functions within OMRI’s bookkeeping system including processing vendor invoices, refunds of program service fees, and record keeping. The Accounts Payable Specialist reports to the Senior Finance Manager. Qualified candidates will have background in bookkeeping or accounting/finance.
Starting salary $39,000 per year (dependent on experience); 40 hours per week; flexible work hours; generous PTO.
- Prepare and complete timely and accurate vendor billing payments
- Ensure all invoices and payment requests have received appropriate approvals and coding for entry into bookkeeping system
- Prepare and perform check runs and bank wire drafts
- Scan billing invoices and statements on a weekly basis
- Reconcile monthly OMRI credit card statements and petty cash
- Take necessary steps to resolve supporting document requirements
- Ensure all invoices and payment receipts have received appropriate approvals and coding
- Enter transactions into bookkeeping system for final review by Finance Manager before payment
- Respond to billing-related inquiries from vendors and internal staff
- Maintain vendor files and records
- Facilitate payment processing of refunds and credits by email and/or phone with clients
- Respond to questions relating to refunds and work-in-progress from clients and staff
- Prepare check deposits for Finance Manager review
- As instructed, manage incoming payments with proper tracking and recording to maintain accurate bookkeeping records
- Provide superior internal and external customer service, including answering questions from vendors, OMRI Listed suppliers, applicants, prospective applicants and OMRI staff regarding financial transactions
- Assist with month-end closure procedures, including assigned account reconciliations
- Maintain assets/equipment record keeping for OMRI personal property tax filing
- Properly manage confidential business information
- Support maintenance and administration of OMRI’s Internal Financial Control System
- Ensure bookkeeping forms, templates and work instructions are up to date and accurate
- With Finance Manager, identify and develop strategies to optimize efficiency of the outgoing payment process
- Ensure that work done is in line with OMRI’s quality management system, and update procedures and processes as instructed
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. Accounting, finance or related majors preferred
- 2 years of experience with bookkeeping or accounting/finance required
- Ability to research fee payment discrepancies and resolve bank wire issues independently
- Strong customer service skills
- Superior written and oral communications skills
- Willingness to participate in professional development activities, and ability to acquire new skills and adapt to change quickly
- Ability to work constructively as part of a dynamic team
- Proficiency in bookkeeping software such as QuickBooks
- Proficiency in standard office software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- High level of attention to detail and ability to process complex information and instructions
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks, organize information, complete tasks in a timely fashion, and appropriate handle confidential business information
- Familiarity with and support for organic food
- Ability to occasionally travel domestically
- Ability to provide annual motor vehicle report and proof of auto insurance, if required
- Full time position with competitive salary
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental and vision plan
- 50% employer contribution to dependent medical, vision and dental plans
- 100% employer-paid life insurance, long term disability and short term disability insurance
- Retirement plan
- Generous Paid Time Off
- 13 paid holidays
- Opportunities for flexible scheduling
- Opportunities for training and professional development
- Bike-friendly business and support for alternative transportation options
- Small nonprofit organization with established team and leading role in organic industry
- Casual, fun work environment
Open until filled
How to apply
Submit your resume and cover letter as a PDF or Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing Accounts Payable Specialist in the subject line. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
OMRI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
OMRI is committed to fostering an inclusive and welcoming work environment where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All aspects of employment are decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, performance and business needs.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at 541-343-7600 or email@example.com.